Congratulations! You are having a tiny baby! We are so excited for you. This may be your first or your sixth, but you still have to grow it, which can work hard on your body.
I find distinct differences between ‘first baby’ moms and moms who are on their second or more.
If you are a ‘first baby’ mom, please enjoy the fact that you have time for naps and take them! Use this first pregnancy to be as healthy and rested as you can be and build yourself up. Also, know that 10 out of 10 times, I hear from mothers that they ‘wished they had known about chiropractic for pregnancy”. I am going to address the most common issues below that will be new for you. I will also tell you this: it is true; you will never be the same person once that baby is born. So also use this time to understand you are important and good, and this baby loves you unconditionally. He or she does not care what you weigh or what your past was, or if you feel good about yourself. They love you. This is a time to build yourself up.
Moms with two or more: I would tell you the same thing, of course. With the maturity that parenting brings, you must also really know to put yourself back on the list at all. Your health actually directly affects the health of your family. So the time you take for your health and well-being is, in fact, the best thing you could do.
- Low back and sciatic pain: Please see these under the What We Do page. However, the reason you have these symptoms is that your body is changing rapidly and in an uncontrollable way. Yes. Chiropractic is the safest, best form of healthcare to address these complaints. It is safer than Tylenol or Advil. We at Be Well Chiropractic understand you are going to be protective of your belly. That is why we walk you through the adjustment and why you have the ‘veto’ power for us to use the activator tool on a ‘protective’ day.
- We do not adjust over the baby or the fundus (top of the uterus). In fact, There are pillow-type devices to allow us to do so, and we are highly against it. We are very conservative and utilize many different body positions to adjust you without putting pressure on the baby.
- Bladder symptoms: peeing all the time or chronic infections. I wish it were as easy as saying the baby is sitting on your bladder. While it is not untrue, it is not the problem until the very end of your pregnancy. You should not be peeing all the time! It means your pelvis and sacrum are stuck in the forward position, agitating the nerves to give you that horrible pee sensation without really needing to go. The way to adjust this is actually to ‘pull the sacrum back.’ If you get a traditional chiropractic low back adjustment, it will not help. Dr. Gregory Hutti, my husband, and I are particular about pregnancy adjustments. You need to sleep; you must get this under control.
- Waddling: You should not be waddling. You need chiropractic adjustments to get your sacrum and pelvis in line, thus giving the baby more room to move and proper biomechanics to your spine.
- Neck and upper back pain: You may have this either during pregnancy because of a growth spurt in your breasts or nursing. We adjust you and reset your body to help you manage the pain and reduce it during this time.
- A special technique. Webster: Dr. Janelle F Hutti loves Webster’s technique because it is biomechanically correct. I pair this with what is also called the Basic technique for the sacrum and pelvis. We are Nationally and TN Board Certified to provide chiropractic care for patients, including pregnancies and pediatrics. We at Be Well are continually reading, educating ourselves, getting our continuing education, and practicing on each other to perfect our methods. In fact, we often co-care, which provides you with two separate opinions at no additional cost. It also helps us work as a team if we have a complicated case. This gives you the best outcome. Our purpose is to provide chiropractic for the rest of our lives, and that will not change.
- Sleep: Can’t help you there. But being in alignment, out of pain, and not having to pee all the time will only help sleep.
- Turning babies: We do Not turn babies and are fully against it. This will be the job of an ob or midwife during delivery if it is necessary. The reason is this. We are conservative because there is no greater Power than the healing and innate system of the body to know Why your baby is Not turned. What if it is in that position because the cord is wrapped around its neck or another body part? No ultrasound can fully give you comfort on this. We perform the Webster, Basic, and manual chiropractic techniques as well as coaching through inversions. It is about your body being healthy and trusting there is a reason that little baby is not turning.
- You can have a well-functioning body during pregnancy.
In fact, Dr. Janelle F. Hutti opened the second branch of Be Well Chiropractic in Physician’s Plaza at the Williamson Hospital Complex to be more convenient for you! Really! I am accessible so that you may piggyback your greater Nashville OB appointments with natural chiropractic care. If you are in the Spring Hill and Maury County area, I always say: Dr. Greg is my chiropractor, and I am very picky.