The beautiful thing about living well, moving well, feeling well, and being well is it is a choice. What I mean by this is that in your list of choices in your specific life, you have choices to be better, stronger, and healthier. It does not matter who you are, where you come from, or what has happened.
- Prayer: is a very private part of our lives, but I would be remiss to leave it out based on this. The Idea that you can have health and happiness in the first place has a Source.
- Chiropractic care: After going through acute and corrective care, there is prevention. The easiest and most fun way to enjoy chiropractic care and your body is in this phase. It means that you are functioning well and feeling well to the best of your body’s ability. It also is the most cost-effective way to prevent issues because now you understand better how your body functions. When you are aware of this, you can get it re-aligned before pain! This is actually a novel concept because humanity is used to responding to pain which alerts us there is a problem. Likewise, in modern medicine, we have been reduced to a list of symptoms. Life does not have to be that way. Breathing and moving well, pliability, spinal and body mechanics are key components in a healthy life. There is nothing better to improve posture and body mechanics than chiropractic adjustments.
- Sleep: Sleep hygiene is not stressed enough. Going to bed and awakening at the same time will help your body develop healthy patterns. Likewise, training yourself to go to bed on time. The newest studies are even giving us a half-hour greater sleep range as the optimal choice. To get deep sleep, it is likely you will have to turn your devices off an hour before bed and sleep in total darkness. Letting your body heal at night will, over time, help you feel refreshed. It should be called sleep training!
- Sunshine: I could go on about this one. You cannot put a simple plant in the dark, and it will die quickly, let alone a human being who self-makes its own vitamin from the sun!!!
- Do not be so sure that the past misinformation about the sun should be followed. Don’t burn, obviously. With that, I would include the chemical peel burns given as treatment by the dermatologist. All I want you to consider is, what would happen to the planet without the sun? The world is artificially making this happen in a different way.
- Supplements: This is the best we’ve got right now. Whole foods are by far the right way to go, but no matter how you slice it, there are more people and decreased soil nutrients. Supplementation in vitamin and non-whey protein shakes help us heal and change our body for the better in a way that food used to alone. Suppose there was a magic bullet: high-quality Omega 3. I only trust Integrative Therapeutics, Now Brands, Metagenics, and Standard Process because they exceed, through science and testing, the standards given by the FDA for medicine.
- Exercise and stretching. You have heard it all before. Yes and Yes. Every day in some way.
My favorite tools:
- Posture: (as mentioned in chiropractic) and between visits to the Intelliskin posture shirt, I am not a person of fads. When I find a great product, I stick with it. This is the best of the best. Intelliskin.net. Dr. Tim Brown, DC
- Pull up bar: Hang from it every day, even with your feet on the ground, and it will reset you from the daily grind.
- Foam roller with cover: Best $15 you will spend if you use it!
- Mattress: 6-8 inch memory foam on the floor. It gives you 100% surface area for your spine. Other than that, no, it is not the mattress. It is your back! Expensive mattresses are not necessary. The firmer, the better.
- Great, well-fitting tennis shoes and an iPod shuffle with your playlist. You don’t have to be an athlete to enjoy this. It is great stress reduction.
- Stress: Life. The best I can tell you is Choose You. Take care of You. Love You. And the world will benefit from it.